If we talk about our Software Development then we have established standards and development methods. Perhaps a BPM project, especially one that includes the broader vision and definitions that are provided, would not fit the typical project development standards.
That is because the key BPM project components are slightly different. This difference is because the BPM project components reinforce the process first, and the solution second.
In BPM, everything is process-driven, so the development method that is used to develop process models and the eventual process application must be uniquely focused on the process needs. It is not a system that is traditionally used to develop projects.
BPM Project Components
Well, that’s how a BPM project development evolve. Any of these components that are missing from a project would disturb the effective design, definition, and creation of the process application, and reduce the engagement of business people.
Project development phases
Irrespective of our software development approach, BPM project development approach closely aligns to the overall BPM lifecycle. This approach also focuses on the BPM project components and allows for the different phases of process modeling.
The project development phases are:
- Discover and define the process.
- Analyze the process for improvements, model the process, and set the process performance measurement criteria.
- Prepare the process application for deployment with an iterative development with three or more playbacks.
- Validate the process application performance in achieving expected business process goals in a production or user environment.
BPM Project Teams
The unique phases and components of a BPM project require a specific set of project roles:
- Process Sponsor:
- He is responsible for establishing the project goals and scope, securing organizational support and resources, and ensuring alignment with organizational business goals
- Process Owner:
- The person who is accountable for the successful execution of the process knows the process from end to end at a high level and can identify the subject matter experts
- BPM Project/Program Manager:
- The person responsible for the success of the project
- SMEs (Subject Matter Experts):
- The people with knowledge of specific process resources, or systems
- Core Team Members:
- Business Process Management (BPM) development teams, typically including BPM analysts, BPM developers (includes integration designer-developers and technical consultants), and solution architect (an advanced role that can lead teams and serve as an analyst and developer)
- The person who installs, updates, and configures the business process management system
- Facilitator: (optional)
- Typically manages the collaboration meetings for a BPM team
* All of these participants work together to collaborate in the design of the process model.